10 Mar VDU Assessments FAQs – What You Need To Know
As one of the leading providers for VDU Assessments in Ireland, to offices of all sizes, here are the most common FAQs we get asked from HR and staff. If you have any questions that aren’t covered below feel free to contact us and a member of our team will be happy to help you.
Q. 1 What is a VDU Assessment?
VDU stands for Visual Display Unit. VDU assessments can also be referred to as DSE Assessments, Workstation Assessments or VDU health and safety risk assessments. This assessment is carried out on all employees’ workstations and their equipment. Equipment refers to equipment which has a graphic or alphanumeric display screen and includes PCs, laptops, touch screens and similar devices.
Q.2 Where to Download VDU Assessment Form?
The VDU assessment form is provided by the HSA and the current VDU assessment form is available for download online here. There is also a sample display screen equipment risk assessment form available to download.
Q.3 VDU Assessment Definition
A VDU assessment is an ergonomic assessment of an employee’s workstation and covers the Visual Display Unit (VDU) as well as the surrounding equipment such as computer monitor, keyboard, mouse, chair, software, and environmenQ.4 VDU Assessment HSE Regulations
The Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Regulations 2007 outline the requirements that must be adhered to in relation to Display Screen Equipment. These regulations are applicable:
- If the employee has no choice but to use the VDU to carry out her/his work
- If the employee normally uses the VDU for continuous periods of more than one hour
- If the VDU is generally used by the employee on a daily basis
The VDU Risk Assessment should be carried out every 2 years. However, this changes depending on the employee’s needs. So, if an employee changes their workstation, they need to have a VDU Assessment carried out to comply with the regulations once again.
VDU Risk Assessment Template
At OpticalRooms.ie we have designed a VDU Risk Assessment Template to help businesses start their journey to VDU compliance. You can download the VDU Template here but please note it is just a starting point and not exhaustive, please contact our team if you have any questions about your legal VDU obligations.
Q. 5 VDU Assessment Legal Requirements
As an employer, there are a number of duties set down in this regulation, the key requirements are:
- To carry out an analysis or risk assessment of employee workstations
- To provide information to employees in relation to measures which have been implemented.
- To provide training to employees in the use of workstations before commencing work with display screen equipment and whenever the organisation of the workstation is modified.
- To perform a further analysis or risk assessment where an employee transfers to a new workstation or significant new work equipment, change of equipment or new technology is introduced at an individual’s workstation.
- To ensure that the provision of an appropriate eye and eyesight test is made available to every employee.
Q. 6 How Often Should VDU Assessments Be Done?
An assessment should be done when a new workstation is set up, when a new user starts work, or when a substantial change is made to an existing workstation (or the way it is used). Aside from these circumstances, VDU assessments should be carried out every 2 years.
VDU Assessment Specialists
At OpticalRooms.ie we have been providing specialist VDU assessments to both large and small businesses throughout Ireland since 2012. Our team are well versed in your legal obligations and how best to address them, ensuring your staff meet the required standard. Employees that require an adjustment to their existing glasses or need glasses to meet the standard are catered for so all employees can be marked as completed and meeting the standard.
To see how we can work with your business, call us now on 01 808 9013, or email us at email@example.com or contact us online.