20 Sep Eyelid Cleansing
Your eyes are so important to your daily life… but are you taking care of them properly?
Everyone has a daily hygiene routine of shower (daily), brush teeth (several times a day), wash hands (as often as possible, in these difficult times) – but people generally tend to overlook their eyecare regime until a problem arises.
Eyelid cleansing is an important habit that should be implemented on a regular basis.
COMMON CAUSES OF EYE PROBLEMS
Common causes of irritation:
- Dry Eye
- Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD)
- Parasites (Demodex eyelash mites)
- Bacterial Eyelid Infection
- Fungal Eyelid Infection
- Lack of Basic Eye Hygiene
- Contact Lens Intolerance
SYMPTOMS OF EYE PROBLEMS
For many years people have suffered from things such as near-sightedness or farsightedness. However, there has been a marked increase in symptoms such as
- Red eyelids
- Itchy eyelids
- Crusty eyelashes or debris at the base of the eyelashes
- Burning or stinging eyes
- Irritated, watery eyes
- Grittiness or foreign body sensation
Depending on the severity of the problem, you may experience some or all of the symptoms and they may manifest themselves intermittently or constantly. In some cases, these symptoms may even cause loss of eyelashes (madarosis).
A recent survey found that younger people reported more (and more frequent) eyelid problems symptoms than older people, which contradicts conventional wisdom about eye inflammation.
We always recommend that you visit your optician to determine the cause of the problem, however if this is not immediately possible, here are some eyelid cleansing tips.
BLEPHACLEAN WIPES – WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS?
We recommend that you use treatments specifically developed for the purpose of eyelid cleansing. At OpticalRooms we recommend using Blephaclean Wipes as they are specifically developed for the purpose and are gentle and soothing. The formula is impregnated with an aqueous Micelle solution which gently absorbs debris and impurities.
Other ingredients include, Sodium Hyaluronate which is a natural moisturiser, Centella Asiatica which is a natural restorative agent for the skin and Iris Florentina which helps to regulate the oil production on the eyelids. This product is free from preservatives, perfumes and soaps, meaning there is no need to rinse after use and can be used on the most sensitive skin. It is so gentle it can even be used on babies as young as 3 months!
EYELID CLEANSING STEPS
- Before you begin, wash your hands thoroughly.
- Open one of the individually packaged Blephaclean wipes. If you have previously used other brands of eyelid cleansing wipes the first thing you will notice is that these wipes are moist but not very wet or frothy.
- Use daily, depending on the severity of the problem, you may need to use these twice daily – morning and evening.
- Begin by wiping the surfaces of the eyelids and work down through the roots and the lashes. This action should remove loose surface cells and prevent the build up on the lash line that can cause infection and discomfort.
- A point worth noting is that these wipes are specifically developed for the purpose of cleaning eyes. Therefore, they are thinner and there aren´t any pieces of lint or fibres left on the eyes like you get with cotton wool.
- As they are conveniently individually wrapped, they can be taken with you on the go.
- They can be used by contact lens wearers.
- They can be used to remove eye makeup.
- They are gentle enough to use with eyelash extensions.
- Because the ingredients are natural and preservative free there is no need to rinse after using these wipes – just wipe and go!
OTHER EYE CARE PRODUCTS FROM THEALOZ
For severe sufferers there is also Blephasteam Goggles, for the relief of chronic dry eye symptoms.